Concrete projects should be done with skills, knowledge, and precision. Pouring your own concrete to create a DIY driveway isn’t a walk in the park. When you take on this DIY project, you need the proper tools and expertise for pouring and setting concrete.
Since the COVID-19 pandemic has started, DIY concrete projects have been popular more than ever. The idea of saving money on a home improvement project can be appealing. However, not everyone can handle a concrete driveway installation.
Whether you’re installing a concrete patio or driveway, working with concrete is a complex job. Before you go down the DIY route, ask yourself—is it really worth it?
Midstate Concrete is here to guide you on whether a concrete driveway project should be left for the pros. Continue reading to learn more:
The Process of Installing Concrete Driveways
- If you want to replace an old driveway, remove or excavate the existing materials.
- For new installations, make a plan and obtain a permit for building your new concrete driveway.
- Draw an outline of your driveway, featuring the size, shape, and thickness.
- Create a cost estimate based on your budget and project needs.
- Check the ground or soil if it is firm enough to hold up an entire concrete driveway.
- Add the concrete or gravel base and press it down into the ground.
- Lay down the wooden stakes, wire mesh, or rebar that will reinforce the concrete.
- Start pouring and finishing your entire driveway.
- Use a brook on the concrete for additional texture.
- Let the concrete driveway cure before you park your vehicles.
Does a Concrete Driveway Increase Your Property’s Value?
Yes, a concrete driveway is a worthy investment. Your driveway is often the first thing visitors see when they arrive at your home. That’s why you shouldn’t underestimate the importance of curb appeal. More curb appeal means added value for your property.
Concrete driveways offer a good first impression. They look great and can increase your home’s value by as much as 10%. There are many benefits to having a concrete driveway. Durability, low maintenance, and longer lifespan.
Advantages of Hiring a Professional Concrete Contractor
Full Range of Equipment
In order to install concrete driveways, you need the necessary equipment. Professional concrete contractors always have the tools and equipment to perform their tasks. When you hire an expert, there’s no need to spend money to buy the tools or concrete materials. They can save you time and effort in finding the right tools for your concrete driveway.
Experienced professionals have decorative concrete ideas in mind. They know different architectural elements and designs that will surely stand out. With their out-of-the-box thinking, you can have a dynamic concrete driveway that will make a lasting impression.
Accurate and Precise Calculations
When it comes to concrete projects, accuracy and precision are important. You need to get the right calculations, so you don’t end with extra concrete. Professionals can give you a well-calculated estimate on materials, costs, and other aspects. In addition, they can provide you with a quote for your concrete project.
Since you’re working with skilled and trained individuals, you can expect quality results. Compared to people doing DIY work, concrete contractors do not play around. They use their skills and knowledge to get the job done. To get the best results, hiring a professional is the best solution.
Most professional concrete contractors stay on top of industry trends. They are aware of the latest technologies in the concrete and construction industry. For the sake of innovation, they embrace new trends to better serve their clients.
Dangers of DIY Concrete Driveway Installations
- Wrong Water-to-Cement Ratio
- Possibility of Redoing the Concrete Work
- Missing Equipment and Tools
- Improper Preparation
- Weather Conditions
- Not Enough Safety Precautions
Beginner-Friendly Concrete Projects
There are several concrete projects that you can handle yourself. A DIY might be a better choice for completing the following:
- A Small Concrete Sidewalk
- Landscape Concrete Edging
- Garden Borders
Hire Our Concrete Driveway Experts
At Midstate Concrete, we offer various concrete services in Harrisburg, PA and across the region. Our services include driveway paving and sealing, residential paving solutions, stamped concrete, and more. We specialize in concrete work for both interior and exterior surfaces. To request a quote, feel free to contact our staff today.